If you`re a landlord or a tenant in the UK, you may find yourself in the position of needing to extend a tenancy agreement. This could be because the original agreement has expired, but both parties want to continue the tenancy, or because there have been changes to the terms of the agreement that need to be updated.
Whatever the reason, it`s important to have a clear and legally binding tenancy agreement extension in place. Here`s a template you can use to create an extension agreement that complies with UK law.
Tenancy Agreement Extension Template UK
This agreement is made between [Insert Landlord`s Name and Address] (hereafter referred to as „the Landlord“) and [Insert Tenant`s Name and Address] (hereafter referred to as „the Tenant“).
1. The parties agree to extend the tenancy agreement dated [Insert Original Start Date] and expiring on [Insert Original End Date]. The extension will commence on [Insert New Start Date] and expire on [Insert New End Date].
2. All other terms and conditions of the original tenancy agreement remain in full force and effect, except as otherwise provided in this extension agreement.
3. The Tenant agrees to pay rent at the rate of [Insert New Rent Amount] per [Insert Rent Payment Interval] during the extension period. Rent payments shall be due on [Insert Rent Due Date] of each month.
4. The Tenant will be responsible for all utility bills, service charges, and council tax payments during the extension period.
5. The Tenant agrees to return the property to the Landlord in the same condition as when it was first rented, with the exception of normal wear and tear.
6. The parties agree to give each other at least [Insert Notice Period] days` notice before the end of the extension period if they do not wish to renew the tenancy agreement further.
7. Any notice required or permitted under this agreement shall be in writing and delivered personally, sent by post, or sent by email to the other party.
8. This agreement may be executed in counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original but all of which shall constitute one and the same instrument.
9. This agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their respective successors and assigns.
10. This agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties and supersedes all prior negotiations, understandings, and agreements between the parties.
In witness whereof, the parties have executed this agreement as of the date first above written.
[Insert Landlord`s Signature] [Insert Tenant`s Signature]
[Insert Landlord`s Name] [Insert Tenant`s Name]